Zoning and Property

Dane County Zoning for Zoning Permits and Information:
More Dane County Information:
Understanding Dane County Zoning

Access Dane for Real Estate, Property, Tax, and Zoning Information

You will need a zoning permit if you are doing any of the following:

  • Building a new structure
  • Constructing a deck or pool
  • Altering a building
  • Adding to a building
  • Repairing a nonconforming building
  • Doing structural repairs

You must apply for a zoning permit from the Dane County zoning office before beginning any of the above-described projects. Once a permit has been issued, you may begin work immediately. Dane County inspects your project to make sure that construction takes place according to the permit. Typically two inspections are needed; however, a location survey may be required in lieu of the first inspection. Zoning staff will issue a certificate of compliance if your project meets all applicable ordinance provisions after the post-construction inspection.
Your project may also require a building permit from the town in which your project is located. Please check with your Town Clerk or Building Inspector for any local permit requirements.

Town of Dane Building Permit Requirements

Land Divisions

The Dane County subdivision ordinance governs the division of land into smaller parcels. This ordinance includes requirements for layout, public streets, improvements, dedications and lot design. It applies if you divide one or more lots from your property, with any lot 35 acres or less in size. A certified survey map (CSM) is required if the division of land will create fewer than five lots. A subdivision plat is needed to create five or more lots.
You or your surveyor may submit a CSM or plat to the County Land Division Review Officer. That Officer approves CSMs for the County, while the Zoning and Land Regulation Committee approves plats. Your town must also approve the CSM or plat, and if your land is near a city or village, the city or village must also approve the CSM or plat. A lot is not legally created until the approved CSM or final plat is signed by all approving authorities and recorded at the Register of Deeds Office.

Dane County Information on Wells and Septic Systems

Private Well Information: Private Wells
Private Septic Systems: Private Septic

Other Property Information

Highway Right of Way Issues: Legal Discussions from Wisconsin Towns Association with Reference to WI Statutes:

Town Right of Way Information
Managing Highway Right of Ways (from WTA)